KLANG:quelle | Quick Start Guide
Quick Start PDF Download
We will show you how easy it is to setup your new Dante enabled headphone amplifier KLANG:quelle. With these 6 simple steps, we will guide you through Dante tools installation and audio routing so that you can enjoy listening to your music with your favourite pair of headphones in a quality you have never experienced before.
What you need
- PC or Mac (with Ethernet port or adaptor)
- KLANG:quelle + Power Supply
- Network cable
- Dante Virtual Soundcard
- Dante Controller
- Music Player and tunes on your computer (iTunes, Cuppertino VOX, WinAmp, Windows Mediaplayer…)
KLANG:quelle is available in either a compact house (approx ⅓ of 19″ rack mount format) and in a 19″ rack mount with 8 additional XLR line level outputs.
The front has Volume Control knobs, TRS (tip ring sleeve) jack connectors (stereo, 6.3mm), a Gain switch (–12dB | 0dB | +12dB) and a signal strength LED (green/red) for each of the four independent stereo headphone channels.
On the back side, KLANG:quelle is equipped with a network connector that hooks up to any standard RJ45 Ethernet cable or to a locking Neutrik EtherCON connector. It can be powered by either Power over Ethernet (PoE) or by an external switching DC power supply (included). LEDs indicate whether power is available on PoE or via DC power supply. The Link/Act LED indicates a network connection and will flash whenever data is being transmitted.
Step 1: Install Dante Tools
- Connect your computer to the Internet
- Visit www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-controller
- Download the free Dante Controller for your Operating System and install it.
Step 2: Sound Source
If you are using another Dante enabled product to stream audio, proceed directly with Step 3.
- OPEN www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-virtual-soundcard
- Purchase & Download & Install Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS)
- OPEN DVS and click on Start
- Set DVS as your default sound card
- Start your DAW or audio player
Please note: The number of Audio Channels and the device’s Dante Latency can only be modified when the DVS is stopped.
Step 3: Connect Device
- Connect external power supply if your network does not already offer Power over Ethernet (PoE).
- Connect CAT5e/CAT6 network cable to KLANG:quelle and to your computer or Dante enabled product/network.
Step 4: Sample Rate
- Open Dante Controller.
- Go to Routing tab and double click on your sound source. Go to DEVICE CONFIG tab and choose preferred sampling rate.
- Close the window.
- Now do the same for KLANG:quelle and use the same sampling rate.
Note: Dante devices can only be connected if they run at the same sampling rates.
Step 5: Routing
Connect (stereo) audio stream from sound source to KLANG:quelle Out Left and Right.
Read more on how to route audio between Dante products.
Step 6: Enjoy Listening
Connect your favourite headphones and adjust gain and volume control.
Congratulations, you are ready to enjoy crystal clear audio with KLANG:quelle!
Audinate® Dante™ is a sophisticated audio network protocol for the professional transmission of audio with a multitude of channels, high sampling rates and it can also provide redundancy.
PLEASE NOTE: Avoid transmitting unnessary data on the Dante network e.g. by SHARING BIG CHUNKS OF DATA BETWEEN COMPUTERS TO ENSURE HIGHEST STABILITY FOR THE AUDIO NETWORK.
PLEASE NOTE: Some Network routers, switches or WiFi access points can only operate with 100MBIT/S AND NOT GIGABIT AS RECOMMENDED FOR DANTE BY AUDINATE! This limits the maximum number of audio channels on the network and might increase the minimum latency as well.
USE HIGH CLASS NETWORK CABLES WITH CAT6 COMPATIBILITY AND PREFER NEUTRIK ETHERCON CONNECTORS TO AVOID UNWANTED DISCONNECTS.
DANTE VIRTUAL SOUNDCARD
Make sure the network connector is green and shows 1G indicating a Gigabit connection. It does not work properly with 100 MBit/s. In case you have 100 Mbit, modify the network cable connection to connect you computer directly to KLANG:quelle.
Warnings & Precautions
- To reduce the danger of electrical shock, DO NOT remove covers. There are no user serviceable parts inside KLANG products. Please refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. DO NOT handle the power cord with wet or moist hands! Class I device: Connect only to main socket outlets with protective earth. Unplug main power cord to ensure an all-pole disconnection. Keep main power socket easily accessible at all times.
- DO NOT expose this device to rain, water or other types of liquid or moisture (incl. splashing or dripping, dew or fog). Never place objects filled with liquids, such as vases, bottles or glasses on or near the device.
- Operating Temperature: 0 °C to 50 °C (32 °F to 122 °F). Avoid exposing this device to sources of heat.
- Using any audio system at high volume levels can cause permanent damage to your hearing. Set your system volume as low as possible. Avoid prolonged exposure to excessive sound pressure levels.
KLANG:quelle has been tested and found to comply with the requirements defined in: EN55103-1:2009, EN 55103-2: 2009, EN 55022:2006/CISPR 22:1997, CAN/CSA-CEI/IEC CISPR 22:02 and FCC 47 CFR, Part 15.
EN 60065, 7th Edition, Rev.: 09/21/2012; CAN/CSAC22.2 No. 60065:03 (R2012). RoHS Compliant and Pb-Free.
WEEE – Recycling
According to RL2002/96/EG (WEEE – Directive on Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) electronic equipment has to be recycled and does not belong in the standard waste. If you are unsure how to recycle this product please contact us and we will recycle the device for you.
Dimension and Weight KLANG:quelle compact
Weight: 0.9 kg
Size (W/H/D): 12 / 4.5 / 19 cm
Dimensions and Weight KLANG:quelle 19″
Weight: 2.9 kg
Size (W/H/D): 44.5/4.5/18.5 cm
Front panel (width): 48.5 cm
1 rack unit – gap between rack bolts (W/H): 46.5/3.5 cm
Maximum Power Consumption: 15 W
It falls into 802.3af (802.3at Type 1) “PoE” class and does NOT require PoE+ switches.
To name only two examples, Cisco SG300-10P or Netgear JGS516PE, or both suitable to power several KLANG:quelle at once.
Audio Specifications Headphone TRS Outputs
Max. Voltage +20 dBu at 0 dBFS
Max. channel current 130 mA
Max. Power 25 dBm
Output impedance < 0.1 Ohm
Read more on how to route audio between Dante products.
Find out how to connect KLANG products to your audio equipment directly or via digital audio format converters.
Update Dante Firmware of your KLANG device including AES67 support and make it Dante Domain Manger (DDM) ready.
Learn how to connect KLANG:quelle to Yamaha CL/QL mixing consoles as a Dante headphone breakout solution.
Thanks for using KLANG gear. We hope you find this tutorial helpful. Please let us know what connection examples you want to read about next. — contact@KLANG.com